Spotify is one of the best and most popular music streaming service arould the world. There are millions of people out there who uses Spotify for online music streaming. Spotify is available for all major platforms like Android, iOS, BlackBerry, Windows, MAC and more. Sometimes while installing Spotify people faces Spotify error code 18. This error can also show message like “the installer is unable to install Spotify error code 18” while for some it may show “the installer is unable to install Spotify because the files to be written”.
Whatever is the reason behind Spotify error code 18, you can always perform some tasks to fix it. If you are the one who is looking for ways to fix error code 18 Spotify windows 10/8/7, then you have landed on the correct page. Here in this post we are going to tell you about what is error code 18 on Spotify, it’s causes and how to fix Spotify error code 18.
What Is Spotify Error Code 18?
Spotify error 18 is basically a Device Manager error code. If you are using Spotify for PC, then there are great chances that you’ll encounter this error which takes place when the device driver is damaged. Microsoft Windows comes pre-loaded with a tool named “Device Manager” and it gives you detailed information about the connected hardware devices. You can use this Device Manager tool to find and fix problems related to your computer hardware. For example Spotify error code 18 problem can be figured out from Device Manager, and can be solved quickly. There are two major formats in which Error code 18 Spotify is usually presented:
“The drivers for this device aren’t installed. (Code 18)”
“Reinstall the drivers for this device.”
It really doesn’t matter which error message you are getting, they’re directly related to the program you are using (in this case, Spotify) crashes shortly after the message is displayed. Spotify Error 18 could be related to installation and running the program too.
Also check how to fix Blue Screen of Death Error.
Symptoms of Spotify Error 18
- A message with “Error 18” appears on the screen, just above the program.
- Your PC continuously crashes while installing or running Spotify program.
- “Spotify Error Code 18” is displayed.
- Windows will start to hang and the mouse or keyboard input will become slow.
- Your computer “freezes” for a couple of seconds or more at a time.
These 18 error messages may appear while you are installing Spotify program, during Windows startup or shutdown, or even after successful installation of Spotify too. It may show you error 18 Spotify code as soon as you will open the installed program.
Causes of Spotify Error 18
Error code 18 can cause a lot of inconvenience to the user too. It is not just related to Spotify and can create problems for other programs and hardware devices as well. Let’s say if Spotify error code 18 pops up because of corrupted or keyboard drivers in your Windows, then it may limit your ability to use your keyboard and work on your PC.
Knowing the causes behind Spotify error 18 will not get them away in seconds, but they’ll let you know how you can fix Spotify 18 error code yourself, and then you can also prevent Spotify 18 error from reoccurring in the future.
- Spotify error code 18 problem can be caused either by a corrupted installation file or not successful installation of the program.
- Another reason could be the malware or virus in your Windows OS that might be stopping Spotify to run.
- If your Windows is having corrupted Windows registry then also you can encounter this problem. This could simply be because of installing or uninstalling Spotify.
- Another reason behind Spotify error 18 code can be deletion of some files that are related to Spotify. Not you or Spotify have done this, but some other programs could have done this too. Knowing all of the reasons behind Spotify error code 18 can help you to troubleshoot Spotify error 18 code more effectively.
[Solved] How To Fix Spotify Error 18 In Windows 10/8.1/7
Method #1. Scan For Malware In PC To Fix Spotify Error Code 18
If you are continuously facing Spotify error code 18 Windows 10, 8 or 7, then there might be chances that some malicious codes have corrupted your system files. If you are using a third-party Antivirus app, then scan your system with it. These programs are the main reason behind Spotify not installing error code 18 and they can damage, corrupt, or even delete Runtime Errors-related files.
There are many good antivirus programs available out there which you can use to scan your system with. If you are using Windows 10, then Windows Defender will do the work for you. Do note that if you are facing Spotify error code 18 when updating, then you have got some other problems as well. Check below methods to fix Spotify error code 18 permanently.
If you are using Comodo in your PC, then you may have to uninstall it (for once) to get Spotify error code 18 Windows 10 solved. Here’s what you can do:
- First of all remove all traces of Spotify (also clear appdata directory).
- Now remove Comodo from Control Panel.
- Once uninstalled, reboot your system to make sure all files are deleted.
- Now once again, install Spotify on your computer. You can download the full installer here.
- It will install successfully, and now you can install Comodo too.
Method #2. Use MSConfig To Solve Spotify Error Code 18
- First of all press start and type RUN.
- Now open Run box, and type in the search box “msconfig”
- A new window will appear, just go to the services tab and click “Disable All”.
- To make changes to your computer, you will need to restart your computer.
- Once you have restarted it, it will be messed up but this is normal.
- Now again repeat step 1 and 2.
- Finally, go to the services tab and click “Enable All”.
- Once again, you’ll need to restart your computer.
- Now you can download and re-install Spotify for PC to run it without error code 18.
Method #3. Error 18: Spotify Fixed Using Registry Editor
If you are still not able to solve error code 18 Spotify using above methods, then you can try Registry Editor to fix error 18. Registry editor is the program which holds registry keys of all of the default and third-party Windows apps and programs. If you want to know how to solve error code 18 on Spotify using Registry, then follow the steps mentioned below. You will also be able to solve Spotify new version error code 18 using this method as registry is same for all Spotify versions.
- First of all click on start button.
- Now into the search box type: Command.
- Hold CTRL + Shift key and press Enter.
- Now a new confirmation dialog box will appear on your screen. Simply click Yes.
- You’ll see that CMD (Command Prompt) will open with Administrative Rights.
- Just type: regedit in CMD and press Enter.
- As soon as you will press Enter key, a new Registry Editor window will appear on your screen.
- Now you will have to select Spotify key, so you can return it back.
- From then File menu, select “Export”.
- Now scroll until you find the folder where you want to save Spotify key.
- Enter a name for the Spotify key (it can be anything, but make it something similar to Spotify so that it can be identified easily).
- Once you have selected it, click on Export.
- Now just click on Save button. This creates a backup file is saved as a file extension (reg).
Method #4. Re-install The Network Adapter
- First of all go to Start Menu and type ‘RUN’.
- Click on RUN and open it.
- In RUN dialog box, type this command there “hdwwiz.cpl” (without quotes).
- A Device Manager window will pop-up on your screen.
- You’ll begin to see a list of all hardware connected to your device.
- Now expand network adapters, locate your network adapter name.
- If you have found it, right click on it and select Uninstall. Wait for the process to finish.
- You will need to restart your computer in order to make changes.
- After restarting, try reconnecting your network and see the adapter is working or not.
- If the drivers for the adapter are not installed, visit the manufacturer website to get latest drivers installed.
- Now you can try installing Spotify on Windows computer as you won’t get Spotify failed to install error code 18.
Method #5. Assign DNS Manually To Fix Error 18 Spotify
DNS (Domain Name Servers) can also cause error 18 on Spotify. But this can be fixed easily as you have to just specify the DNS servers you want with your connection. By default Windows is set to get them automatically as you connect internet, but if you are facing Spotify updates always get error code 18 or want to know how to fix error code 18 with Spotify, then assigning DNS manually can help you in fixing this. To do this, just follow the steps mentioned below.
- First of all open “Network and Sharing Center” either via Control Panel or by right clicking on internet icon.
- Now a new Window will appear on your screen. Just click on Network Adapters from left pane.
- Right click on your Network Adapter, and select Properties.
- In Properties tab, you’ll have to click on the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)“
- Now, click on the “Use the following DNS server addresses” tab there.
& change the ‘Preferred & Alternative DNS Server’ by this following,
Preferred DNS Server – 18.104.22.168
Alternative DNS Server – 22.214.171.124
- Now Click on “Validate settings upon exit” & click on the OK button to save settings.
- Now, you are ready to browse internet using the above mentioned DNS server.
Method #6. Spotify Error 18 2017 Fix via System File Checker
System File Checker is one of the best Windows tool provided by Microsoft in their Windows. This tool let’s you scan and restore corruptions in Windows system files without third-party app. Solving error code 18 with Spotify will be easier if you will use this command. Do note that this tool comes in all Windows versions, so you can use it on the machine you are using right now. You won’t even face Spotify failed to install error code 18 after using it. To use it, follow below steps:
- Click the Start button.
- Type “command” in the search box… DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box. Just click Yes.
- Now CMD with Administrative Rights will open up on your screen.
- Type “sfc /scannow” (without quotes) and hit ENTER.
- System File Checker will begin scanning for Spotify Error 18 and other system file problems (be patient – the system scan may take a while).
- Follow the on-screen commands.
We’ve got many messages of people asking solutions of error code 18 for Spotify. So we have searched about it, and found some ways to fix it. You can fix error code: 18 Spotify from Registry, using software and from CMD as well. You can try all of the methods to fix error code 18 on Spotify and go with the one which works for you. Do note that we have Spotify error code 18 solved, but Spotify error code 18 solutions are different for different people. So, try all of the methods mentioned below:
[SOLVED] “The installer is unable to install Spotify because the files to write are in use by another process. Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry.”