The “You May Be The Victim Of Software Counterfeiting” is the most common message seen by the Windows computer users, who bought the computer from a local computer shop. The unauthorized stores, who use the counterfeit Windows installation while assembling the computers is the reason behind this error. If you bought the computer from a local shop with Windows on it, then you may see the You May Be the Victim of Software Counterfeiting on Windows error. The error is not limited to any particular Windows Operating System version, but for all. When someone uses the Windows which has been installed with the Counterfeit details, then you may see this error.
Most of the times, local computer shops, who assemble the computer from scratch use the pirated Windows OS to save the money. Well, this is the not the right way to save money by providing the Pirated version of any operating system to the users. If you are the victim of counterfeiting and seeing the error on your computer, then worry not. In this post, I am going to share some best methods to Fix You May Be The Victim Of Software Counterfeiting On Windows OS. With the techniques I am sharing, you’ll be able to solve this issue within minutes and start using your computer normally.
How to Fix | You May Be a Victim of Software Counterfeiting Error on Windows
Method #1 – Activate Windows If Using the Genuine Version
Sometimes, the Microsoft messes up with their system and recognizes the Genuine users as the users with Counterfeit OS. Well, if you have bought the Windows by paying money, then you don’t have to worry. You’ll just need the Windows Serial Key, which is printed on the DVD Box of the Windows OS. If you’ve bought the Genuine Windows from Retailer, then you can ask him for Replacement License Key in case you don’t have access to your License Key. Here is the exact Process to Activate the Windows OS with Original License Key.
- First of all, Right-Click on the “My Computer” icon on the Desktop and Select “Properties.”
- In the Properties, you’ll see the Information about your computer. Scroll Down and find the “Windows Activation” tab.
- In this tab, you’ll see the option to “Activate Windows Online.” Click on the Activate Windows Online. Make Sure you have an Active Internet Connection.
- Now, enter the Product Key / License Key of your Windows OS and Press ENTER. The system will contact to the Microsoft Servers to check if the Key is valid or not.
- Withing few seconds, you’ll see that your system is activated and the Message will Disappear immediately.
This is how you Fix You May Be The Victim Of Software Counterfeiting Error on Windows within Seconds with official Windows License Key.
Also check Fix DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Error in Chrome.
Method #2 – Remove a Registry Entry and Remove WGATray.exe
You’ll need to remove Registry Entry, which causes the You May be the Victim of Software Counterfeiting error. When you eliminate the entry from Windows Registry, then the error will be removed from the system. Here is how you can remove the registry entry that causes the error.
- First of all, open the Run Window by press “Start + R” key combination on your Keyboard.
- This will open the Run Window. In the Window, type “Regedit” without quotes and press ENTER.
- Now, you’ll see the Registry Editor Window. In the Registry Editor, check the Left side, where you’ll see the hierarchy of the folders. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MicrosoftWindowsNT > CurrentVersion > Winlogon > Notify.
- Now, Select the WGALogon Folder and Press “Delete” button on your keyboard. This will Delete the Entire Registry Values from that folder.
This is all you’ve to do in the Registry Editor. But, the process is not complete yet. There is another Executable file running, which we have to stop and delete from the system. Here is the process in continuation.
- Open the Task Manager, by pressing the “Ctrl+Shift+Esc” key combination on your keyboard.
- In the Task Manager, click on “Processes” tab and find the process “WgaTray.exe” service. Now, Right click on the Process and choose “Stop.”
- Now, open the Windows Explorer by Pressing “Windows + E” key combination on your keyboard. Otherwise, you can open the Windows Explorer by clicking on the My Computer icon.
- In the Windows Explorer, navigate to “C:\ > Windows > System32 > DLLCache.” Now, delete the “WgaTray.exe” file in the DLLCache folder. This process is responsible for the You May Be The Victim of Software Counterfeiting Error on Windows.
- After Deleting the File, Restart your Computer. Now, you’ll not see the Error Message again, as you’ve Fixed You May Be the Victim of Software Counterfeiting in Windows.
If have low sound in your computer, then you should check out Sound Booster For PC.
Method #3 – Use RemoveWGA Software Program
If you are not good in following the complicated procedures to fix You May Be The Victim of Software Counterfeiting error in Windows 7/8/8.1/10, then you have a simpler option. With the RemoveWGA software, you can automatically fix the error within few minutes. The RemoveWGA Software automates the entire process mentioned above for the newbies, who are not good with following these process. Here is a simple process to Fix You May Be The Victim of Software Counterfeiting on Windows 7/8/10.
- First of all, Download the RemoveWGA Software from this link.
- The Entire Software is just of the 15KB and does not need any formal installation. You can Double-Click on file to open it on your computer.
- When you open the RemoveWGA on your computer, click on the “RemoveWGA” button on the screen.
- The RemoveWGA software will start its work, and you’ll see the confirmation message on the screen after the completion.
- Now, Restart your computer to see the You May Be the Victim of Software Counterfeiting on Windows error has vanished, and you can freely use your computer.
Method #4 – Restore the System with System Restore Point
The System Restore points are the points, which are created as a backup for your computer if anything goes wrong. In this case, we are facing the You May Be the Victim of Software Counterfeiting error in Windows. If you had created the System Restore Point before the Error started to pop out, then you can Restore your computer and Fix the error. Here is the exact Procedure to Restore the Computer with System Restore Point.
- First of all, Right-Click on the “My Computer” icon and Select “Properties.”
- In the Properties, you’ll see the “System Protection” option on the Left side, click to open.
- In the System Protection Window, you’ll have to choose the “System Restore” button, and you’ll see all of the Restore Points created by you.
- Click on the Restore Point you’ve created before you started to see the error. Now, Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions, to restore your system.
- The Windows will automatically Restart itself to complete the Restore Process.
After the Restore, you’ll not see the You May Be The Victim of Software Counterfeiting Error in Windows OS.
So, this is how you can fix the Software Counterfeiting Error in Windows OS. You should be able to solve the error quickly and permanently. But, if you’ve used the Pirated Version intentionally, then you should face this error again after some time, as the Microsoft knows who is using the Pirated Copies for Windows and who is not. If you are a Genuine Microsoft Windows user and still facing this error, then make sure you follow the methods mentioned above to fix the issue within minutes.
If you are using the Pirated Version of Windows, make sure you buy the official License Key from Windows Store and activate the Windows to get latest updates and keep your stored data safe from threats.